Lesson 15: Friendship

Halfway: Even if its half hidden by cloud, the full moon is
a blessed sight for those fasting during Ramadan.
It seemed too good to be true.

Spoiled for choice amongst the endless variations of metal plates at the BHV, I spied one in particular that seemed just perfect. It didn't exactly conform to the design I had sketched, but if I could make it work, the repair job on the bed would be even more durable than I expected. There was only one snag: this improved plate required a drill that could go through metal.

Although not in the same category as portable spot welders, metal drills belonged to the class of power tool that I certainly didn't have room to store in my 16 square meters of living space. There was no time for hesitation however. Lunchtime was almost over and I would be running late for my next appointment if I didn't act now. Drill or no drill, I bought two of the uncannily ideal metal plates plus some matching screws and I was on my way.

The appointment with my next client was long but enjoyable. Over many years of helping Charles, we had become quite good friends and it made working for him a pleasure rather than a chore. Knowing that I always arrive by bicycle, he was quite puzzled by my refusal of his offered of a glass of water, but the fasting-for-Ramadan explanation seemed to satisfy him. After the job was finished, the metal-plate/broken-bed-disaster was still plaguing me, so on my way out the door I tried my luck:

"Hey Charles, you don't by any chance have a drill that I could borrow? One strong enough to go through metal?"

Only too happy to comply, he reached into a cupboard and gave me exactly what I was after. Drill in hand, metal plates and screws in my bag, I seemed to have everything necessary. Getting back on my bike I felt a curious change of mind come on. Where before there were only the cold ashes of despair and a Ramadan cut short due to unforgiving circumstances, there was now a phoenix of hope rising up. With nervous anticipation I began pedalling for home. As I rode along the river I saw the sun dipped low almost to the water giving me another reason to be excited: it was almost time to eat.