Lesson 4: Trust

Verified: the clouds cleared in the evening to finally give a view
of the already growing crescent that marks the start of Ramadan.
So there I was, ready to start fasting on the day before Ramadan.

Apart from the early mornings, I figured it would be pretty easy going. My only other experience with fasting was the 40 hour famine which I did once with my best friend. Sure we got a bit hungry, but there were plenty of barley sugars to tide us over, and when we got thirsty, we could drink straight water. It was a nice challenge to tackle with a friend and we ended up having quite a bit of fun. I figured Ramadan might just be a longer version of the 40 hour famine, but I had failed to understand one crucial point.

Hebbat took me aside in the evening to brief me on what would be happening tomorrow.

"So", she began, "Ramadan goes for a whole lunar month - from new crescent moon until the next new crescent moon. For every day during that month, we fast during the daylight hours. The basic idea is that we get up very early each morning, while its still dark, and eat breakfast. You want to eat a full and healthy breakfast, because that's going to have to keep you going all day. You also want to make sure you drink plenty of water. We stop eating and drinking about an hour before sunrise and we continue this fast until the sun sets in the evening. When you are breaking the fast, you want to do it slowly so as not to shock the body. At first we just have a glass of water - your body will be in need of fluids the most; then we eat a few dates to get some sugar back into the bloodstream. Only after this gradual beginning do we move on to eating something more sub..."

"Hold on", I interrupted, "did you say we don't eat or drink until the sun sets? You mean there's no eating barley sugars to maintain blood sugar levels and no drinking straight water to stop dehydration?"

"No water, no barley sugars", she said smiling and shaking her head slightly.

"For the whole day?", I asked, with a slight tinge of panic colouring my voice.

"From sunrise until sunset." she confirmed.

My pulse started racing. What had I gotten myself into? I had no idea that 'fasting' meant not drinking either. This Ramadan thing had gone from being an interesting exercise in cultural awareness to a dangerous menace to my health! I'm from Australia where water, fluids and constant hydration are a way of life. Dehydration is a dangerous natural enemy of our country, to be avoided like sunburn and box jellyfish. Not drinking at all for the entire day - it seemed like madness!

"But... but isn't that dangerous?" I stammered

"Listen", she explained, "Ramadan is not about compromising your health. If you feel dizzy or woozy or sick, you have a drink straight away. Damaging your health is not part of it, and Allah is not going to send you to hell if you break the rules. You only do as much as you have the strength to do. You don't fast when its dangerous to do so. For example, if you are sick or travelling, you are exempt from fasting. If you are elderly you are exempt. Women don't fast while they are having their periods either."

"But you yourself don't drink for the entire day, even when its warm weather like we have now?", I cut in, still unable to believe people could do the Ramadan without keeling over left, right and centre.

"That's right", she confirmed again, "when I don't have my period (which is only a few days of the month), I don't drink for the entire day, even in summer - but obviously this is more challenging, especially with the longer days."

I swallowed thickly. At the time I was earning a living by riding my bike around Paris and fixing peoples computer problems. Riding around a fair bit during the day, I honestly doubted if it would be possible without drinking. What's worse is that I knew I had resolved to do this, my fragile male ego would take a hit if I had to back down.

My mother phoned later and upon hearing this latest development was incensed and uncomprehending. "No drinking? I don't want you to do it. That's silly and dangerous". I tried to explain that surely it can't be so dangerous if millions of muslims do it every year. Of course, she still wasn't convinced.

I also related this revised concept of fasting to my good friend P.A. "And you're going to go through with it?" he asked, eyebrows raised. "Well, I said that I would. And besides, Hebbat is doing it," I replied hoping for approval. Instead he said nothing and looked away seriously. I was worried it was the kind of look climbers get when they tell they're friends they will attempt ascending the north face of Everest; the kind of look that says "well, I guess its your life to risk."

Before going to bed I took a deep breath and looked in the mirror. "Are you sure you want to do this?" I seemed to be asking myself. After a moment of consideration I came to a comprimise, "I'll just try it for tomorrow and see how I go."

Finally laying down and closing my eyes, I offered my own little prayer. I would have to trust that things would work out for the best, and, that despite my fears, tomorrow would not end in disaster.